Friday, January 2, 2015

I took a call...



I took a call...

"Emergency Dispatcher, what's the address,  the phone number?  tell me now exactly what happened?"  

"The bullet came through the window" he said, "Someone driving by must have shot in the air" not realizing the boys were inside hanging out. His cousin was shot in the head bleeding out.   

He was young and so was his cousin.  His story sounded reasonable, 
And yet somehow it wasn't. 

He didn't understand the lie would cost, valuable time, while officers sought. 
Not realizing it was just a game of roulette, with one loaded gun and a shot to the head.
  
His cousin’s name I will never forget, as he called to him, trying to bring him back. 

"You gotta help my cousin" he told me on the line, while I processed the call,  and got the help rolling. 

I tried to tell him what to do, my hands were shaking my voice was too, "Put pressure on the bleeding site, it doesn't matter if it's soaking through,"
"You gotta help my cousin" he cried as he held his cousin in his arms so tight. 

“Listen to me, are you holding pressure? Right on the wound, now press down firmly” I pleaded with him wishing I could, reach through the phone to help him too.  
The flashes in my mind of moments long ago.  Me playing with cousins, my loved ones such fun.

"You gotta help my cousin" he cried, his cousins eyes were open wide.  
"Just keep holding pressure, and make sure he's breathing." I quoted not wanting to believe the reality.  
"You gotta help my cousin" he said, as his cousins blood flowed swiftly from his head.
His cousins’ breathing was shallow now and slowing down, not making a sound. 

"You gotta help my cousin" he cried.  His voice was sad and lonely and worried.  
While officers sought to secure the scene, looking in vain for the unknown shooter.  

I tried to tell him what to do, my hands were shaking my voice was too, "Keep pressure on the bleeding site, it doesn't matter if it's soaking through." while praying silently in my heart, thinking there's not much else that we can do "just hold your cousin close to you, his time on earth is almost through"    

"You've gotta help my cousin" he cried.  My heart was breaking deep inside.  
Focus Brenda, just read the cards, be firm yet gentle, and don't break down, Remember, you’re his only hope.  He needs to be brave for his cousin in his arms. 
Just a little while longer while the ambulance rolls, I did all I could on the end of the phone.  To be the caring voice that he hears, to believe that the help is drawing near. To help him be brave, to help him be strong, to hold on to his cousin for the very last time.  

But it was simply not enough; his cousin was finished, his time was up. 

While officers sought for who may have shot. To secure the scene where the boy was shot.  Not realizing it was just a game that boys play. Russian roulette but this time was no game. For the gun was loaded with a fatal shot.  And one cousin was dead and one cousin was not. 

His cousin’s name I will never forget as he called to him trying to bring him back.


1 comment:

  1. Brenda, this is a tragedy beyond words. Having to deal with situations like this takes a special talent and much love. You and the thousands of 911 operators who's lives are touched by sad events like this one provide a very special service to their fellow human beings and Linda and I thank you and them for all you. The emotional trauma produced by exposure to happenings such as this one in a caring person like you requires healing and compassion beyond anything most of us will ever have be ask to endure. Aunt Linda and I will pray that you will have the strength and wisdom to handle all that your job requires of you. God Bless

    ReplyDelete